Just because your food isn’t dirty mean that it’s clean. Eating clean foods means eating foods that are not highly processed and are as close to their natural state as possible. It also means they don’t have a lot of added sugar, salt or fat. Clean foods are fresh, whole and provide nutrients for your body. Clean eating supports sustainable agriculture and environmentally sound food practices. Eating clean should include the following practices:
- Eat more fruits and vegetables, having them play a prominent role in meals and snacks, eating them raw or lightly steamed or sauteed. As much as possible, they should be organic to avoid pesticides and GMO’s. Focus especially on dark leafy greens like spinach, kale and arugula as well as cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage and Brussels sprouts.
- Eat lean protein including eggs, poultry, fish, tofu, yogurt, nuts and beans.
- Eat complex carbohydrates such as those found in peas, beans, whole grains and vegetables.
- Avoid packaged snack foods like crackers, cookies, chips and candy instead opting for nuts, vegetables and fruits.
- Stay away from sugary drinks and foods with added sugars.
- Cook your own meals in place of eating fast food.
- Eat foods that are as close to their natural state as possible, like whole fruit instead of fruit juice or fresh chicken breast instead of chicken nuggets.
- Drink water and plenty of it, aiming for at least 2 quarts per day. You can also include tea and coffee without artificial sweeteners and skip the sugar-laden flavored coffee shop drinks.
- Limit alcohol consumption
- Avoid processed foods like white sugar, flour and pasta; foods with chemical additives like food dyes and nitrites or preservatives.
- Do not eat saturated fats and trans fats or artificial foods like processed cheese slices. Avoid foods with lot of calories but little or no nutritional value.
- Frozen fruits and vegetables that are minimally processed and frozen at their peak are ok, as are canned beans and tomatoes.
Eating clean supports your health and can be an effective way to lose weight.